VILLAGE OF HYTHE BYLAW # 494
A BYLAW OF THE VILLAGE OF HYTHE TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF FALSE ALARMS RESPONDED TO BY THE HYTHE
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
Council may pass bylaws for municipal purposes respecting the safety,
health and welfare of people and the protection of people and property,
and respecting the services provided by or on behalf of the municipality
AND WHEREAS numerous alarms received by the Hythe Volunteer Fire Department are false alarms
AND WHEREAS fewer false alarms reduce risk to businesses, citizens, firefighters and emergency responders by lessening the number of responding emergency vehicles on the road and improving available response for other emergency calls.
WHEREAS Council deems it expedient and proper to institute a fee for false alarms to recover some cost and encourage proper maintenance.
NOWTHEREFORE as authorized under the Municipal Government Act, R.S.A. 2000, the Council of the Village of Hythe hereby enacts as follows:
1. a) “false alarm” means an alarm to which the Hythe Volunteer Fire Department is dispatched and in
FEES FOR RESPONDING TO FALSE ALARMS
2. Where the Hythe Volunteer Fire Dept has been dispatched to a property because of a warning generated by a false alarm, the property owner or business owner shall pay:
1. first call no fee charged
2. second call $200.00 fee charged
3. third call $300.00 fee charged
4. subsequent calls $400.00 fee charged
3. Any property owner/business owner charged with a fee pursuant to this bylaw must pay the fee within the time specified in the invoice. Any fee that is not paid in the specified time is an amount owing to the municipality and is recoverable as a debt due to the municipality.
4. This bylaw shall come into effect on the day of final reading.
READ A FIRST TIME, FEBRUARY 9, 2009
READ A SECOND TIME, FEBRUARY 9, 2009
READ A THIRD AND FINAL TIME THIS, FEBRUARY 9, 2009